Competition Team is for triathletes ages 11–17 (born in 2001–2007) interested in racing at a competitive level within the region. Triathletes will practice one day per week mid-April through mid-June, and then two days per week from mid-June through late August. In addition, coaches may provide specific workouts for triathletes to complete on their own. 11–15 year-old triathletes should commit to participate in at least two team designated races and the USA Triathlon Youth National Championship in West Chester, Ohio August 3–5. 16–17 year-old triathletes may choose to race in select super sprint races identified by Coach Christy.
Practice Schedule and Locations
Competition Team practices one day per week mid-April through mid-June, and then two days per week during June, July and August. One-a-week practices will be on Sunday evenings mid-April through mid-June and then move to Tuesday evenings through August. This practice will be in conjunction with Development Team. Beginning in mid-June, a second weekly practice—group riding skills and drills—will be added on Thursday evenings. This practice will be in conjunction with High Performance Team.
The Competition Team practices in Carroll and Howard Counties and locations will vary depending upon the practice focus. Locations include Health Unlimited Family Fitness & Aquatic Center, Old National Pike Park, Parrs Ridge Elementary School, Western Regional Park, and Lake Linganore.
- Previous triathlon experience recommended.
- Active member of a year-round or Summer swim team.
- Appropriate swim apparel (e.g. one-piece for girls, jammers for boys) including a swim cap and goggles is required.
- Road bike with drop style handlebars required (aero bars are not allowed).
- Toe cages or clip-in style bike pedals (recommended).
- Cycling-specific helmet with a working chin strap (aero helmets are not allowed).
- Bike computer (recommended).
- Bike flat repair kit including spare tubes and CO2 cartridges.
- Running specific shoes are required.
- Road ID or similar emergency identification band.
- Bike trainer (recommended).
- Wetsuit (optional).
- Competition Team membership for new and returning triathletes is TBD.
- USA Triathlon membership valid through at least August 31, 2018 is required. USAT youth membership, purchased separately, is just $10 per 12 months for triathletes under 18 years old.
- Triathletes new to the team will receive a Triathlete Starter Kit which includes elastic speed laces, and Mini Cow Tri branded water bottle, race belt, transition towel and sticker.
- Competition Team uniforms start at approximately $135.
- Race registration fees and travel costs are not included and are the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
Email Coach Christy at firstname.lastname@example.org.